The purpose of IPTS research is to gain new fundamental knowledge about the processes that shape the Oceanological fields and environmental conditions of The world’s oceans, including the strategically important black sea-Mediterranean region, and to determine their variability over a wide range of spatial and temporal scales in the past, present, and future.
The main task of IPTS is a comprehensive study of natural and technical systems on the basis of systemic unity of ongoing physical, chemical, biological and geological processes, rational use of marine resources and ensuring environmental safety for sustainable development of Russia and the creation of scientific bases of forecasting of variability of the climate of the Planet.
Main directions of activity IPTS:
1) fundamental and applied physical and Climatic studies of the marine environment, the ocean – atmosphere system, and the deep layers of the oceans and seas.
2) development of methods and tools for Oceanographic and environmental research, creation of modern information technologies and systems for collecting, processing, analyzing and using Oceanological data.
3) comprehensive interdisciplinary research of the main processes of formation and evolution of ecosystems of the Black and Azov seas and other strategically important regions of the world ocean.
Topics of the state task:
- Improving the mechanism of environmental management in order to ensure environmental and economic security of the tourism industry.
- Fundamental research of processes in the climate system that determine the spatial and temporal variability of the natural environment on a global and regional scale.
- Development of new tools and measuring information technologies for natural water research.
- Development of theoretical foundations and methodology for practical use of test methods in natural environments and analysis of multidimensional data for modeling and forecasting the reliability of technical systems.
- Creating a scientific basis for the development of flexible multi-generation plants using renewable energy sources and local cold resources in the context of climate change.
- Fundamental and applied research of regularities and mechanisms of formation of regional changes in the natural environment and climate under the influence of global processes in the ocean-atmosphere system and anthropogenic impact.
IPTS consists of 2 research centers (6 laboratories) and a branch of the IPTS in Sochi (3 laboratories).
- Marine climate research laboratory
- Laboratory for large-scale interaction of the ocean, atmosphere, and climate change
- Laboratory of environmental problems of nature management
- Laboratory of hydrophysical and bioelectronic measurement systems and technologies
- Laboratory of hydroacoustic and optical methods and means of environmental monitoring
- Laboratory of Ecoenergy
- Laboratory of geophysical problems and mathematical modeling
- Laboratory of reliability of technical systems in geophysical environments
- Laboratory of environmental Economics and ecology
The Institute employs 132 people, including 77 researchers, including 10 doctors of science and 30 candidates of science.